Note: This is page is a perennial work in progress. Just like me!
As a white cis woman raised in America, I have privilege and have benefited from systemic racism my entire life. I’m working hard on becoming an accomplice to BIMPOC (Black, Indigenous, Mixed-Race, and People of Color) and on becoming actively antiracist so I can dismantle white supremacy whenever I encounter it.
If you also benefit from white privilege and want to know what to do about it, start with “106 Things White People Can Do for Racial Justice” by Corinne Shutack. As I work through this list, I will add some of my thoughts and resources to this page.
Donate to anti-white-supremacy work
If you don’t know where to start, the Anti-Racism Daily newsletter shares excellent resources every single day. I highly recommend it.
Support Black-owned businesses
You can search the web for service directories of local Black-owned businesses like this one. This is my own directory of Portland-area Black-owned businesses that I support and recommend:
- Ecovibe is where I go for unique home goods. They have plants, pots, and planters, candles, pillows, rugs, and more.
- I met Mimi of Mimi’s Fresh Tees at the 2022 PLA conference and bought her awesome “Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History” tee. She has lots more in her online shop!
- I love the Lavender Sage candles from Pretty Peacock Candle Co.
- Earl Marston, a/k/a The SewingMan, hemmed two pairs of my jeans and did an excellent job. I highly recommend him for your clothing alterations.
- Third Eye Books sells African-centered books, accessories and gifts. They’re also on Bookshop.
Join a white space
Race-based caucusing is useful for white folx to learn more about our conscious and unconscious biases. I joined Unpacking, which is a discussion-based forum created to provide a space in which white and white-identifying individuals working in Oregon libraries can examine the realities of our white privilege.
Watch Black-centered TV, films, and other media
I’m doing a lot of catch-up here! So far I have watched and recommend:
- Black-ish & Grown-ish
- Dear White People
- Get Out
- How to Get Away with Murder
Read about antiracism
I’ve started a Bookshop list called Anti-Racist Reading.