There was a recent spate of graffiti near one of my work sites. I liked this one. The sentiment is good, of course, but if you’ve watched more than a half-hour of television here lately you have also seen this particular advertisement often. And it is as insipid as only a perfume advert can be. I like Charlize Theron’s acting but I’m not sad about this graffito at all.
Random moments, catching up on the past eleven days (whoops) of Holidailies:
- It is really boring to hear about how ill someone has been, so I will save you that part of the update. But I can assure you of one thing: it is even more boring to be the person living it.
- The fireplace gets fixed tomorrow! Lately I have deep appreciation for my hot-water bottle, electric blanket, ratty old bathrobe, fleece infinity scarf, and cats, especially at bedtime.
- Suddenly getting choked up in the Tesco Metro upon hearing "I'll Be Home for Christmas" is one way to make a new friend, or at least to test the customer service abilities of a patient cashier.
- Never underestimate the restorative power of Skype calls.
- I finally get why you are all raving about Serial. But do you get why I continue to rave about Judge John Hodgman? (Note: these two podcasts are about as different as podcasts get, but they're both outstanding.)
- Adore yourself for exactly one minute today, no more and no less. Then you can go back to self-loathing and crippling doubt about your place in the world.
- Never mention the referendum at a work holiday party, not even in passing, not even as a side comment you were making about something else. "Too soon" doesn't even begin to cover it. I surprised myself at the mistake, and it went quickly from "oops" to "o god what have I done" to "please someone set off the fire alarm so I have an excuse to run out of here". And then the fire alarm went off. But it was only a drill, and we all stayed seated, and it never got any better.
- To settle my roiling stomach, I drank an entire can of ginger ale. It was weird, but not entirely unpleasant, and I think I have finally gotten over my distaste of carbonation. Also, that trick really works!
And a teaser for next post, mostly to tease myself into actually writing it: I found treasure for only £7 in the Grassmarket on Saturday.