It has come to this: my passion for fountain pens and other analog tools requires its own page.
I don’t know when it began. From a very early age, I was fascinated with stationery, particularly office supplies. As a child, I learned calligraphy, so I must have owned my first fountain pen then. It didn’t turn into a full-blown passion until 2003, and I’m still not sure why.
Despite all this, I am not snooty about writing instruments; I appreciate any pen that provides a compelling tactile experience. I love to talk pens with anyone, so ask me anything.
These are my EDCs, which stands for “every day carry” pens, and what they’re currently inked with.
- Pilot Vanishing Point (M): Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku
- Pilot Vanishing Point (1.0mm stub): Colorverse Gravity Wave
- Pilot Metropolitan (CM): Diamine Pelham Blue
- TWSBI Diamond Mini Classic (F): Kaweco Summer Purple
- Pelikan Classic M205 Olivine (Architect): Diamine Damson
- Conklin All-American, tortoiseshell, (1.1mm italic)
- Cross Beverly (M)
- Esterbrook Dollar Pen, cobalt (B)
- Esterbrook M2, red (extra flexible extra fine)
- Faber-Castell Ambition Birnbaum and matching mechanical pencil
- Faber-Castell Loom Piano, white (M)
- Kaweco Liliput Fireblue (M): This was a 2016 Massdrop deal (back when Massdrop had fountain pen deals) and I was lucky to catch it.
- Lamy AL-Star, L29 dark purple
- Lamy 2000 (Binderized XF)
- Lamy Logo, brushed steel
- Lamy Studio, LE violet
- Monteverde Olympia, blue
- Noodler’s Nib Creaper [sic], orange-green
- Parker “Flighter” 25
- Pelikan Classic P205 Black-silver
- Pelikan Classic M205 White-silver
- Pelikan Classic M205 Olivine (Architect ground by The Nibsmith)
- Pelikan Souverän Ruby Red M320
- Pelikan Souverän Tortoiseshell-White M400
- Pilot Metropolitan, black (F)
- Pilot Metropolitan, black (CM)
- Pilot Vanishing Point, 2008 LE purple (M): This was a gift from FunkyPlaid and has been an EDC since 2008.
- Pilot Vanishing Point, Black Matte (1.0mm Stub): This was a gift from my mother in 2021.
- Recife Baby Press Constellation, sparkly purple
- Retro 51 Tornado, indigo
- Rotring Core, blue
- Sensa Meridian, silver
- Sheaffer Prelude, luminous purple with nickel-plate trim
- Stipula Passoporto Stealth, black (1.1mm Stub) won’t stop leaking
- Stipula Ventidue hopelessly busted
- TWSBI Eco, LE orange (M)
- TWSBI Eco, LE pink (F)
- TWSBI Eco, clear (1.1mm Stub)
- TWSBI Diamond Mini Classic (F): I purchased this from Oblation Papers & Press in 2020 and was instantly smitten with the writing experience.
- Visconti Van Gogh Midi, musk green
- Waterman Carène, royal violet
- Waterman Philéas, red
Like the Holy Grail, a “grail” pen is something I’ll search for my whole life and likely never possess. It’s good to dream!
Starter Fountain Pen Favorites
- TWSBI Eco: my current top recommendation for beginners
- Pilot Metropolitan: a close second to the TWSBI Eco
- Lamy Safari: recommended for beginners, both right- and left-handed
I’m slowly developing an Airtable of my collection.
Stationery & Notebooks
- Fisher Space Pen: the ballpoint that writes upside-down and through butter
- Pilot G-2 0.7mm: my favorite gel pen now that the Papermate Gel-Writer is extinct