What I will/won’t miss about my flat:
- pimp/ho fisticuffs during the wee hours;
- siren orchestra of Fire Station #3;
- the little man who slept by the front door of my building who would always say he was sorry when I tiptoed past;
- surly neighbors;
- always-packed laundromat;
- lanky smokers in front of the corner bar, all elbows and coals;
- lack of street-lamps;
- single-paned windows;
- tissue-thin taxi brakes;
- the 2, 3, and 4 bus lines, especially that tschhhhhh noise;
- the Angriest Beggar who called me “sweetheart” when he needed anything and “bitch” when he realized he wasn’t going to get it … every single time;
- bridge-and-tunnel screechers after the bars close;
- and every single unexplained loud noise in the night.
It’s been quite a year for me here. Living in this neighborhood definitely challenged me; working and
living in this neighborhood exhausts me. I am looking forward to living in the “suburbs”, sleepy quiet, near the ocean and the park and not much else. Most of all, I am looking forward to living with my partner in a proper house that we will furnish and care for together.
Goodbye, little nest. Onward to the next roost!